Moscow: US President Donald Trump said that he has decided not to listen to the “terrible” audio tape of murder of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi inside Saudi Arabia’s consulate in Istanbul, but has been fully briefed on its content.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said in early November that the recordings of the murder of the opposition journalist have been shared with France, the United Kingdom and the United States, among others. Trump said on Sunday that he would receive a full report on the murder of Khashoggi within the next two days, on Monday or Tuesday.
“We have the tape, I don’t want to hear the tape, no reason for me to hear the tape … Because it’s a suffering tape, it’s a terrible tape. I’ve been fully briefed on it. There’s no reason for me to hear it. In fact I said to the people should I? They said, you really shouldn’t, there’s no reason,” Trump told the Fox News broadcaster late on Sunday.
The US president went on to call the audio tape “violent, very vicious and terrible.”
Khashoggi, a Washington Post columnist, known for his criticism of Saudi policies, went missing on October 2 after entering the Saudi consulate in the Turkish capital of Istanbul. After initially denying any knowledge of Khashoggi’s whereabouts, Riyadh admitted later in October that the journalist had been killed in a fight inside the consulate. (UNI)