Valley shuts on JRL call, sit-in foiled

Mirwaiz, Malik detained for defying restrictions

A complete shut shutdown was observed in Kashmir over the recent killings even as the authorities foiled the sit-in protest around civil secratariat by arresting Hurriyat (M) Chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Jammu Kashmir Liberation Front Cheif, Mohammad Yasin Malik.

The JRL comprising of Syed Ali geelani, Mirwaiz and Malik have called people to stage sit-in protest around Lalchowk till the bloodshed is not ended in Kashmir.

Syed ali geelani continued to be under house arrest while as Mirwaiz defied his detention and came out of his Nigeen residence.

“A police party stationed there detained him and lodged him at Nigeen police station,” said a spokesman.

Before his arrest, Mirwaiz appealed all sections of the society to co-operate with the leadership.

JKLF Chairman also defied restrictions and was arrested by the police and lodged at the Srinagar Central Jail.

Curfew-like restrictions were imposed in parts of Srinagar in a bid to prevent people from joining the scheduled sit-in protest outside the civil secretariat, which opened in Kashmir from today.

All shops, schools and business establishments were closed and traffic was also off the road in civil lines and uptown Srinagar though few private vehicles, besides cabs and three-wheelers, were seen plying on some routes.

Due to the tense situations in the valley  authorities has ordered the closure of all schools, colleges, and universities in the Valley and all the exams scheduled for today have also been cancelled.

The Kashmir traders body also held a protest march and tried to march towards civil secretariat and protest against the civilian, militant killing in Shopian.

The Kashmir Traders and Manufacturers Federation (KTMF), assembled at Abi Guzar. Holding banners and placards which read “Down with state terrorism”, “Stop genocide of Kashmir’s” and “Stop innocent killings in the name of operation all-out”, they tried to march towards the civil secretariat, which was scheduled to open on today.

The rally was organised as part of JRL programme asking people to march towards secretariat on its opening day to hold a sit-in protest against the civilian militant killing.

They said that “traders are ready to suffer any losses but cannot tolerate “excesses on innocent people”. However their protest march was foiled by police.

Meanwhile, internet service remained suspended for the third day in South Kashmir and for the second day in whole valley, while the train services in the Valley remained suspended today for the second consecutive day.

On Sunday five militants including top Hizb commander Sadam Paddar and missing Kashmir University professor Dr. Mohammad Rafi Bhat were also killed by the forces.

Besides five militants who were killed in encounter, five civilians were also killed in clashes with government forces.

During the day long clashes between the locals and the government forces’ at least 50 youths had sustained the firearm injuries and are being treated at different hospitals of the valley.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.