Barring Kulgam, life returns to normal after 2 days in Kashmir

Srinagar: Life returned to normal on Monday in Kashmir valley after remaining crippled for two days due to strike called by Joint Resistance Leadership and restrictions imposed by authorities.

However, business and other activities remained paralysed in south Kashmir district of Kulgam, where three youth, including a girl, were killed in security force firing on Saturday.

Shops and business establishments were doing normal and traffic on all routes was plying regularly in summer capital, Srinagar, and other major towns and tehsil headquarters in the valley.

Work in government offices and banks was normal in the valley, where train service resumed on Monday after remaining suspended due to security reasons.

Normal class work also resumed in all educational institutes, including schools, colleges and universities.

All the shops were open in the main business hubs in civil lines, including historic Lal Chowk, Gonikhan, Residency Road, Maulana Azad Road, Mahraj Bazar, Batamaloo, Iqbal Park, Dalgate, Regal Chowk and Budshah Chowk.

The main gates of Jamia Masjid, stronghold of moderate Hurriyat Conference (HC) chairman Mirwaiz Moulvi Omar Farooq, which were closed since Friday, were open and devotees offered prayers in the historic mosque. Shopkeepers were doing normal business in Jamia Market.

JRL comprising Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Mirwaiz Omar Farooq and Mohammad Yasin Malik – had asked people to observe strike on Sunday against the killing of civilians in Kulgam and on the second death anniversary of Hizbul Mujahideen ‘commander’ Burhan Wani, who was killed in an encounter by security forces on July 8, 2016 in Anantnag.

On Saturday, the JRL had called for a general strike against the shifting of Dukharan-e-Milat (DeM) chief Asiya Andrabi and her two associates to New Delhi by National Investigation Agency (NIA) for their anti-national activities.

All the three were given ten-day remand by the court in New Delhi.

Reports of normalcy were also received from other parts of the Valley, including Baramulla, Sopore, Bandipora and Pattan in north Kashmir, where security forces remained deployed in some sensitive areas to prevent any law and order problem.

But, a complete shutdown was being observed in Kulgam, where shops and business establishment were closed and traffic was off the roads in protest against the civilian killings in security force firing.

Life returned to normal in south Kashmir, including Anantnag, Pulwama and Shopian. Authorities had ordered closure of colleges and Higher Secondary Schools besides other middle and high schools in the district.

Reports of normalcy were also reported in central Kashmir district of Badgam and Ganderbal.

Meanwhile the internet services remain suspended in south Kashmir since last three days.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.